Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Love My Makita with an 'M' because it is Marvelous

What ARE you doing Blogging on Valentine's Day? I hear you ask. Well, after 9 years together, we are Secure enough to cut the commercial crap and stick to the basics: Chocolate.

And nothing says 'I love you' like fixing the shower.

So my Makita, the cement board, and I are making some progress this V-Day.

I have used 1/4" cement board before, but this is my first adventure with the 1/2" thick variety. And it may well be my last. Do you have any idea how heavy 1/2" thick 3' x 5' cement board is? Neither do I. But years of faithfully going to the gym has not prepared my decrepit spinal column for this.

At first, I foolishly assumed that the traditional score and snap process might not be the best thing with the 1/2" thick cement board, so I got out my Very Cheap Jigsaw, put in the carbide blade and sawed away. Ahem. Mistake.

Score and snap still seems to be the way to go. Who knew.

My new true love, the Makita, hooks up nicely to my Carbide Hole Saw attachment to make these cute little holes in the backer board which - if I am Very Lucky - might even match up with the bathroom's plumbing.

No, I'm not going to finish hanging the cement board tonight. I am tired, I worked a full day before even starting on this project, and chocolate cupcakes are calling my name.

3 comments:

Amalie said...

I cannot sing the praises of my Makita enough. Mine is my dad's old one with the stick-shaped batteries from the 90's at the earliest. Maybe older. I don't know if it holds a charge as long as these, but I always have a backup battery on the charger. It is super slim-line and ultra lightweight. Little old me can stand on the top rung of a ladder, reach up to screw in drywall, and not herniate a disc.

I <3 Makita

Jennifer said...

MMM.... I have TWO Makita drills... a corded one that is SUPER powerful, and a cordless lithium ion hammer drill. I LOVE THEM!

We cut the 1/2 cement board with a jigsaw and a DIAMOND blade... worked pretty well, but was nice and dusty. :)

Rebecca said...

After futher investigation, it seems the problem was not the carbide blade, but the blonde idiot using the jigsaw (that would be me).