Sunday, February 3, 2008

Extreme Chaos Project, Bath Edition: Day I

The bath project has begun, starting with the demo of plaster, lathe, and the careful removal of Icky Yellow 1950's Plastic Tile.

The Before Picture:


Demo projects take me some time - most of a day in this case - as I do not use power tools. I live in fear of finding New Discoveries in walls or inadvertently sawing studs in half, so I stick to the mallet, chisel, crowbar, and handsaw. Despite my careful proceedings, I had a few moments of panic when the lights went out when I stuck a chisel in the wall. After uncurling myself from a fetal position and investingating further the Case of The Missing Lights, I discovered that Martin was working on An Electrical Project during my demo and had flicked off the circuit breaker. Sigh.

The After Picture:


I did a little web surfing before I started and discovered that there seems to be some market for vintage plastic tile (who knew?), so I made an effort to save about 3/4 of it, and it should be showing up at the Re-Store sometime next week, should anyone want it.

Now for the real question. Why was there 1950's plastic tile in my 1930 house?
After pulling it off, it quite appears that prior to the plastic tile, there was.....may I have a drumroll please.....no tile at all! For the first 20-odd years it seems that they just tossed the kids in for a soak in the Ballardia tub, no showering allowed.

Speaking of showering, I hear you ask, "How are you attending to your Personal Hygiene needs while the bathtub is gutted?" Simple. We are carting our towels and scrub brushes to the guest bath at undisclosed location X. Since I designed it and did all the tile work, we have Lifetime visitation rights, though I seriously hope our bath will be done before then.

Location "X" guest bath: