Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Weather Be Basement Windows

Now that the Floor Epoxy is done, I have moved my office from The Dining Room Table to an Actual Desk in the basement. And it's given me opportunity to notice the Stiff Breeze coming through the sides of the windows, and keeps me staring at the not just cracked, but completely broken window pane which we covered up in cardboard "temporarily" about 5 months ago.

So off I went to Home Depot, a rather longer trip than usual as I locked my keys in the trunk and had to have Martin come Save the Day. While waiting for My Hero, I procured Frost King plastic press-on weather stripping, complete with a crowned Pillsbury Dough Boy on the front of the package. Now, is it just me or is 'Frost King' perhaps not the best brand name for serious home improvement materials? Do we really want to purchase a home repair product that suggests we want fries with it?

I am forced to overcome my product marketing objections by the simple fact that this seems to be the only correct product at Home Depot which will deal with a non-uniform gap, as my windows, like the rest of my house, gave up being square, straight and level decades ago.

It's 27 degrees out. I have incentive to hurry.



2 comments:

Fred said...

Right now I've got all the insulation out of my basement so that I could seal the block wall, put up framing, and then put insulation back up. Problem is, that project is taking longer than planned - and my basement is sucking the energy out of the house. Glad to know the weather stripping works. I've got similar windows, and once I get the insulation fixed, I might actually notice leaks in the windows.

Fred
One Project Closer

Rebecca said...

Good luck with that, I say smugly from the comfort of my warm, toasty basement.....sorry, can't resist. I spent all of last winter with cold, unfinished basement hell, and the memory is just starting to fade. Happy thoughts your way.