Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Raspberry Crop


On the back of our lot, Dorothy planted a long row of raspberries, which have not yet succumbed to my Black Thumb of Garden Death, so we have quite a Crop to use. I’ve been collecting about 4 cups/day, which is a lot of berries for two people to use without turning into a big Raspberry.


I tried making a raspberry pie, which was quite disappointing really as it just tasted like a Generic Berry Pie, rather than preserving the flavor of the raspberries. I've been bringing berries to every summer gathering, foisting them off on friends, even having my parents U-Pick. And still they keep coming.

I’ve been taught the cookie sheet trick of freezing berries – line the berries up individually, unwashed, on a cookie sheet, cover with aluminum foil, let sit overnight in the Ginormous Freezer, then remove the berries from the cookie sheet and put them in a plastic freezer bag. This way one can thaw out a few berries at a time, rather than one Unified Blob of Berries.


No comments: