Thursday, July 26, 2007

Moving Closer to Having Television

Time to start terminating some of our cable, because I’m having drywallers come in next week to drywall the bath ceiling and garage wall, and I’d like to move our cable modem to a Safe location where it won't become cemented in joint compound.




Westlake Electronic hooked me up with SNS connectors (the coax ends) and a Thomas&Betts combination coax stripper/crimper tool. HomeTech Solutions has a great site showing how to crimp.



It really was quite easy, and worked on my first try, although I had a moment of panic when the cable modem worked, but the wireless router didn’t. After an hour or so of frantic diagnostics, I realized that the cable company had given me a 1 GHz splitter. Replacing this with a 2 GHz splitter did the trick.

I've also crimped the location closest to the TV, so if we should do something drastic, like subscribe to cable,
we could actually see it.



The book Sunset Wiring Home Networks was a rather helpful resource, available of course from Amazon.com, or from the Seattle Public Library after I return it.

No comments: