Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A more productive tiling field trip

A few weeks ago, while mindlessly surfing the web, I happened to discover that a company called Tilehaus sells 1" unglazed hex tile. Ok, that's not earth-shattering news as oodles of places sell hex tile, but what I found most intriguing is that it appeared to be completely FLAT hex tile, not like that stuff sold by Dal Tile and others which has bevelled edges.

I ordered a sheet, which arrived yesterday, and it in fact it is completely flat! And while it isn't a 100% color match to my existing bath floor tile, it is Close Enough!

This means I won't have to pry up the toilet, chip out some existing hex tile from underneath, and hope it doesn't break or inflict more chaos on the floor!

I was seriously excited, that is, until today when I took a trip over to Seattle Tile Company (that great tile store about a mile from our house), where I discovered a half sheet of the Very Same Stuff on the sale rack for about $4. Sigh. Anyway, it turns out it's unglazed 1" hex tile from American Universal. And the great thing is, they ALSO have precut edge pieces so you don't have to risk fingers cutting 1" tiles with a wet saw.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am searching some useful information, immediately i found this post and gain some useful information great work such a great brain to use.
Hexagonal floor Tile