Saturday, January 20, 2007

Gas Project Plan

Basic decision made, it's time to put together the project plan, which looks something like this:

Project Plan:
1) Design
2) Demo
3) Gas meter/ line installation
4) Ducting removal
5) Structural repairs
6) Furnace replacement
7) Decommission the oil tank.

Because I have the Opportunity to reclaim space in my basement, I really need a solid idea of how I want the space to eventually look so that I can decide on an appropriate location for the new furnace, hot water tank, and gas meter.
Here's what the space essentially looks like now:



I suppose I could use a design program of some sort to help, but I’m rather a fan of basic graph paper.

What do I want out of this space? Well, ideally a MIL unit would be nice, but I don’t think the space is quite suitable. The only decent spot for a kitchen is where the workbench is currently, and I'm seriously considering sacrificing that area to the gods of ducting.
The south side of the house (where the ducting is currently) really has a good sized, comfortable living space if the furnace and ducting are removed. The ducting has to run SOMEWHERE though, so I'm thinking the north side of the house, right above the workbench and through the garage, would leave me with the most possible living space. As long as I'm sacrificing that area, it makes sense to put the furnace over there, too.

A media room would be nice, as would a bathroom. Maybe an office.

I’d like the laundry area to be convenient, rather than shoved in the back corner.
I'd also like to keep the enormous 1958 freezer.
Thinking ahead a few years, getting rid of the chimney would be a good idea; there’s no actual fireplace, and it runs through the middle of the 2nd story stair landing, which is pretty dicey. The picture below is the top of the stairs in our Scary Summer Camp upstairs; there's about 18" between The Edge and that wood in back, which encases the chimney.




No comments: