Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Fixture Shopping

I hate shopping. If I paid no attention to price tags, shopping might be easier, other than finding footwear for my size 10 feet.

One year, Martin & I went to Florence, Italy, and for some reason the lines at all of the tourist attractions were Discouragingly Long, so we wound up shopping. Martin Loves Shoes, so Florence, with a Shoe merchant on every corner selling lovely handmade Italian shoes, combined with a Comfortably Low Euro meant a Fine Vacation for Martin. In every shop he'd find something he liked and ask for a size 44, they'd hand it over, and a Shoe Purchase would ensue. In every shop I'd find something I liked and ask for a size 41, and they'd laugh and suggest I try Men's.

At one point, I did try a clothing retailer, and found a pair of pants to buy. Curiously, the hemline was 5" too long for me. So I'd really like to know where this 6'2" Italian chick is buying her shoes!

But back to Remodeling Shopping. House Remodeling Shopping is sometimes just as challenging as shopping for my footwear, with house parts having to be appropriate for a 1930's house, actually fit in odd-size rooms, and, well, be Free. Or as close to it as possible.

The bathroom fixture shopping is easy (though not Free). I’m going to repeat Ballardia Classic’s 2nd bathroom, which I think turned out quite well, with a Kohler Memoirs toilet & sink. Generally mail order from companies like http://www.needplumbingsupply.com/ and http://www.kitchenandpantry.com/ have worked out well for me.

I'm also repeating the same Hansgrohe faucet I used in Ballardia Classic, from the Home Depot website.

Kitchen sink & faucet shopping is more work. There are not many options for the kitchen sink; I need a 33” inch white one, so I’m going for Cheap, from the Home Depot website. I miss my Franke fireclay farmhouse-style sink from Ballardia Classic, but it won’t work with the sink cabinet here.


I found a great faucet with a pull-out sprayer at http://www.overstock.com/, which is always worth a check for home improvement goodies.












No comments: